Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Summer Shopping Tip


I am the queen of loving what I buy and feeling like I have nothing to wear in my closet about one month later. No matter how hard I try, I just can't seem to get it together when it comes to maximizing what I have. I thought the problem was with my closet, but it might actually start before my clothing even hits the scanner.

My sister-in-law was reading an article out of Real Simple, and one line stuck with me. When shopping for clothes, buy items that you would wear all the time if no one was keeping track. Makes sense right? And come to think of it, I wear my green Target cargo pants 24/7. So before you start stocking up on clothes ask yourself if you would wear it for days on end if no one ever noticed. I am excited to apply this tip on my next shopping trip.

11 comments:

  1. That's BRILLIANT! I love it.
    xo Josie
    www.winksmilestyle.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to admit that I kind of miss people keeping track of what I'm wearing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very Cool! I will have to remember that when I go shopping tomorrow for my birthday. My sister has sadly forgotten about my special day. Fortunately for me my cousin did not forget.

    Put your paws up!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm going to start doing this, too. I also have that problem when I'll love an item at first and then shove it to the back of the closet after one or two wears. Real Simple has the best tips! It's my favorite magazine.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oooh nice tip. I'm gonna have to remember that next time I do a little retail therapy. =)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ugh. Last fall I spent over $500 on my "fall work wardrobe" and the next month I felt like I needed to shop again. This spring, I applied the Real Simple tip with much better results.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have a couple things i wear to death and then stuff i feel like is just a waste of money. ugh.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love this tip! I need to start actually using this every time I shop.

    Ramblings of a Small Town Girl
    Fanciful Brainstorm - Tumblr

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is a really good tip and I'm glad you shared it. I have the exact same thing happen. I buy stuff that I "think" I'm going to wear and then go straight back to the things I was already wearing feeling like I have nothing. Off the cuff I bought yet another James Perse fancier style tank a few weeks ago and, at the time, chastised myself for buying more of the same. Guess what? I've worn it almost every day since.

    This one really rang my bell.

    xo,
    C

    ReplyDelete
  10. I should buy tons of jeans, long sleeve t-shirts and yoga pants then.

    ReplyDelete