Monday, November 29, 2010

Light Up the Sky



When the sun goes down on the farm, a new kind of light stretches across the fields. This is the bonfire, a family tradition for many Americans this time of year. I was captivated this year by how much amber light our bonfire threw out, making for unusual and beautiful pictures. The amber glow contrasting with the black night sky was stunning, and shadowed images created new depth and mystery. The kids roasted sausages and marshmallows, while the adults enjoyed the heat. What are you winter traditions?


When the sun goes down . . .


brush is gathered . . .


amber begins to glow . . .


and light up the earth . . .


stretching into the night sky.

11 comments:

  1. Ooh how neat Marcie! I'm so jealous of your experiences on the farm! Looks like an amazing night!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks like so much fun! I love reading about your farm; it makes me think about the farm that my grandparents owned. My favorite winter traditions include driving with my friends to look at Christmas lights and the highly competitive boot hockey tournament held by my cousins.
    xo Josie
    http://winksmilestyle.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks lovely - so warm. Winter traditions? Well I guess it's all about lazy Sundays, by the fire and a traditional roast dinner with Yorkshire Puddings! Utterly British. Lou x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I enjoy seeing photos from your family's farm. Reminds me of my grandparents. When we were small we always traveled to Mexico to reunite with my Mom's side of the family. all ten siblings and twenty plus cousins! such fun. as everyone got older that tradition was no longer and now everyone just celebrates with their own family. I kinda miss the get together's.
    this xmas will be the first time since 2005 that I will be spending xmas with my parents and sisters.

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh my gosh, that sounds like it was magical. the pictures are so cool!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful pictures, I love the warm colors!

    Thanks for stopping by, come back soon!

    http://californiacandy.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks like so much fun! I'd love to have a huge bonfire and roast marshmallows for smores in it. What a great way to get everyone together and feel like you're camping, but really you can sleep in your own bed. Hope you had a wonderful Thanksgiving, Marcie!

    xo
    Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  8. We never did this on the farm, but I sure wish we had!! I do love a campfire and it's nice to wash the smoke out of your hair before bed, too :)

    Hope you had a great Thanksgiving!
    xo,
    carrie

    ReplyDelete