Friday, May 7, 2010

Food Friday: Turkey Taco Salad & Guacamole

Turkey Taco Salad




For someone who doesn't like salads, I have been eating them a lot lately. I am slowly learning how to "create" dinner salads that I enjoy.

I love turkey taco salads because they
(1) are made with lean turkey meat;
(2) provide a good dose of healthy greens;
(3) only take 15 minutes to make (the bulk of the time is spent cooking the taco seasoned turkey meat);
(4) are versatile (add cheese, beans, rice, salsa, etc.); and
(5) satisfy my appetite.

Guacamole




No Mexican dish is complete without guacamole. My favorite way to prepare it is to smash 2-3 avocados, add a few spoonfuls of salsa, a dash of salt and pepper, and a few squeezes of lemon.

Health Tip

"Monounsaturated fats are found in olive oil, canola oil, and avocados. These healthy fats help to maintain the water level in the epidermis and supply the ceramides and fats that keep . . . the skin healthy and intact. This translates into less itchy, healthy-looking, glowing skin."
-Dr. Ellen Marmur, Chief of Dermatologic and Cosmetic Surgery and Associate Professor at The Mount Sinai Medical Center New York

14 comments:

  1. I am not one for eating salads much either! This looks very delicious though. My hardest thing is finding a salad dressing that's tolerable enough. I am not sure why I don't like most dressings!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Um, yum! This looks delicious. I'm a big salad fan too. And that guac looks killer too! Great, tasty post. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. OK now THAT looks like an AMAZING salad! Hope you have a good weekend! Oh and I left u a little something on my blog today :) xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. YUMO!!!!!! That looks delicious and healthy! Ya can't beat that! Thanks for the idea! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yum! That salad looks really good. My husband just learned that he likes avocado, so we have been making guacamole every single night! Its so good!

    xx
    Nikki

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks exactly like our dinner some nights......we love some homemade guac too. thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oooh this looks delicious, I could eat this right now!

    Thank you so much for your lovely comments over at my blog, I always love seeing your stylish little icon there :)

    Did baby Alex arrive yet? Hope all is well :)

    Happy Week-end!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks so good!!! I make turkey taco salads a lot too. They're so healthy but still filling. I'm going to try your recipe for guacamole, I've never made it myself! The one you make sounds so simple. I hope your first week went well! Have a wonderful weekend.

    xo
    Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love Mexican food!
    Everything looks so yummy :) I am going to try your guacamole recipe and I would like to wish you a wonderful weekend :)
    Kisses :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mmm, that's right my friend, can never have it without a dollup or two of guacamole. this looks so delish, want me some right now. i love ground turkey the best, never gone back to beef since i switched.

    happy eatings Marcie

    oxo

    ReplyDelete
  11. that looks so good! and I love TJs and avocados!! YUMMY!

    ReplyDelete
  12. That looks fantastic Marcie! I'm going to make that this week. Hope you're good xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Mmmmmmm, Mmmmmmmm!!!!
    I LOVE avocados! And, guacamole- My Favorite

    ReplyDelete