Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Everybody is Free to Wear Sunscreen


I was talking to my brother the other day, and he reminded me of the song Everybody is Free to Wear Sunscreen that was written by Baz Luhrman for the graduating class of 1999. Immediately the song took me back to my high school days. It is funny how this song carries a totally different meaning for me now, 10 years after high school, and I am sure the meaning will continue to change and deepen as I get older. Every once in a while I will read a quote, hear a song, or get one of those lengthy "remember when" emails that really makes me pause and think. This is one of those songs. Below are a few of my favorite verses, but if you have time I encourage you to listen to the entire song.
  1. Enjoy the power and beauty of your youth. Oh, never mind, you won't understand the power and beauty of your youth until they've faded, but trust me in 20 years, you'll look back at photos of yourself and recall in a way you can't grasp now how much possibility lay before you and how fabulous you really looked.
  2. Don't worry about the future, or worry, but know that worrying is as effective as trying to solve an algebra equation by chewing bubblegum.
  3. Keep your old love letters; throw away your old bank statements.
  4. Don't waste your time on jealousy. Sometimes you're ahead, sometimes you're behind. The race is long, and in the end, it's only with yourself.
  5. Get to know your parents; you never know when they'll be gone for good.
  6. Accept certain inalienable truths: prices will rise, politicians will philander, you too will get old; and when you do, you'll fantasize that when you were young, prices were reasonable, politicians were noble, and children respected their elders.
  7. Don't mess too much with your hair or by the time you are 40, it will look 85.

7 comments:

  1. I remember this 'song'!

    Thanks for pointing out some of the great advice from it... Takes me back and helps me appreciate.

    A.Co @ A.Co est. 1984

    ReplyDelete
  2. This song is full of amazing advice and truths that we always seem to overlook. I always liked the part that said we're not as fat as we imagine. So true! I feel like every girl I know (including myself at times) finds ways to berate themselves and their bodies when we should embrace who we are. Great post, Marcie!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i haven't heard that in so long. love it!

    p.s. I have a double giveaway I think you might like! www.wild-and-precious.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love that song, and the lyrics. Still so important today. New follower! Thanks for entering my giveaway. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lots of wisdom in one spot. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I LOVE that you just posted about this song! I was talking to a friend yesterday and quoted it, but poorly, so we went on youtube and listened to it about 10 times. There is so much good advice in that one little song. I'm contemplating posting little tid-bits on post it notes around the house! lol xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. those are excellent photos. thinking about how long ago that song was released makes me feel old.

    ReplyDelete